Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Whole Wheat Pancakes

I adore pancakes, but the pancakes that I tried before were either too gummy, thick, chewy or just plain fussy. These pancakes are easy because you mix them until the batter is smooth. No need to worry about overmixing the batter and leaving just the right amount of chunkiness. The pancakes turn out soft and crispy around the edges.

You will need a stick of cold unsalted butter to brush the skillet. I normally like to replace butter with olive oil, but I think the butter adds that nice crispy edge. You also just got to use a cast iron skillet. It keeps it heat and really crisps up the pancakes. Be sure to start to preheat as before you start making the batter.

I grind my own soft wheat, but I would think that any soft whole wheat flour would give the same results.
My girl loves these and runs over when I tell her that pancakes are ready. She then sits down and says 'helpy', which means 'help me eat the pancakes mom'.

Whole Wheat Pancakes
1 1/4 cups soft whole wheat flour
1 cup plain yogurt, any fat
1/2 cup water
1 large egg
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Set a cast iron skillet on the stove and start it preheating over low heat.

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until smooth. When the skillet is ready, take a stick of butter and rub it over the bottom of the skillet (just enough to lightly coat it in fat). Place 2 to 3 mounds (1/4 cup big) of batter and cover with a lid. When one side is ready (sides will be a little set), flip it over and cook on the other side.

Stick a dollop of butter and pour honey over the stack. Enjoy these right away.

makes enough for 2-3 people

No comments:

Post a Comment