Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Salsa

This is a great salsa recipe from my father-in-law. I eat it by the bowl. It is that good. I made a few changes to keep it mild, but kept the recipe below the same way I got it from him. Thanks!

1. I did not use the jalapenos, green chiles or habanero. It is just too hot for me. I made it with the 2 yellow chiles and pablano pepper (which is actually not in the original recipe) and it was spicy. The next day the salsa was much more mild. I am not sure why.

2. I did not include any salt or garlic salt. I do not like to eat that much salt. Besides, commercial chips have salt on them already. You can add the salt if you want.

I tried to freeze a little of the salsa and see how it comes out. It was watery and did not have the same texture. The salsa does not freeze well, so eat it up in a couple of days.

Salsa Recipe (Pico de Gallo)
28 oz can whole tomatoes
4 long green chiles
2 short yellow chiles
2 Jalapeños, optional
1 Habanero, optional
4 medium-large tomatoes
2 bunches cilantro
2 bunches green onions
1 white onion
5 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt

In a blender, blend the following:

Can of tomatoes, two green chilies, one yellow chile, both Jalapeños, the Habanero, the garlic, half the white onion, one bunch of the cilantro, along with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Pour into a large bowl. Note: To keep the salsa cool, seed the chilies.

Slice, dice and add the following:

The tomatoes, the other half of the white onion, the green onions, the rest of the chilies, and the last bunch of the cilantro. Stir and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment