Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Marinara Sauce

Hi Everyone, this is my first post. I am very excited to blog and put the recipes that I make for my family here. Two days ago, I made spaghetti and meatballs. The sauce was very tasty, but the meatballs were a bit dry. I used 99% lean turkey meat. I need to work on them some more. I will post the recipe for meatballs when I like them.

The marinara sauce can be frozen for up to a month.

Marinara Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
1 cup red wine
5 tablespoons tomato paste, half of 6 ounce can
4 garlic cloves, chopped very fine
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped fine
1 whole sprig fresh rosemary
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper, to taste
Handful fresh basil, torn or chopped

Add oil to a skillet and let it preheat for a minute over medium heat. Add the onion and cook it until the onion becomes clear and soft. This will take about 20 minutes. Add the wine and let it cook until all the liquid evaporates.

When the wine is gone, add the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two. Add the garlic and cook until you just begin to smell it. Add the oregano, rosemary, crushed tomatoes and plenty of pepper (I love lots of it!).

Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat as low as possible and cover for 20 minutes. Remove off heat and check for seasoning. Remove the rosemary and add basil. The sauce is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment